Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

There's just too much stuff!!!

I have heard these words come out of my mouth far too often these days.

I am sick and tired of the kids not knowing where to find stuff. And it's not that the place is a mess, or that its not well organised - there's just SO MUCH of it!!! I was saying it to the kids last week that we HAVE to go through all of their stuff and clear it out.

There were tears.
And I had to tell then that it's my fault.

I am the one who buys most of this stuff.
I am the one who brings it into the house.
I am the one who doesn't make time to go through it often enough.
I am the adult, and I have to take responsibility.

Then I look in my wardrobe.
We are lucky enough to have a walk-in wardrobe EACH. And that doesn't mean that Cal's stuff is n one room and mine is in another - there are 2 WIRs in our bedroom. Each one is full-sized and mine looks something like this:


I will try and remember to take an ACTUAL picture of my wardrobe (it's actually not this bad) tomorrow. The point I'm trying to make is that the pledge I made to myself last year of "one in/one out" hasn't held true. I can barely hang anything up. There's just no room. Plus, we have run out of coat hangers, and I really don't want to buy any more.

The girl's wardrobes are not dissimilar (well more Bailey's than Ardyn's). With the girls still growing, their wardrobes usually hold more than one size, and as we travel to different climates quite regularly, clothes for different seasons. Right now, they are a mess.

And truth be told, it's been so long since I've gone through the clothes they've outgrown (there are more in garbage bags in the bottom of the spare room cupboard) .................... oh dear, I just don't want to think about it.

So I have made a promise to myself that I have to go through these wardrobes. I HAVE TO. It's got to the point (like the kids' toys) that I have no idea what's there.


One at a time. But where to start.
Tomorrow, deep breath, get on with it.
My wardrobe first.

I have to be ruthless.
I have to be honest with myself and do this with no emotion.
If it needs mending, is the wrong size, looks crap, I always skim past it - GONE!!!!!!

So first thing in the morning I stock up on garbage bags. Toss and donate. Ruthless.
Then Bailey's.

I would love a wardrobe like this

Seriously? Who wouldn't? But at the moment, I would settle for something that I can actually hang a piece of clothing in, and actually see what I've got.

I will try and get 'before' and 'afters' for you. Maybe even a really scary 'during'.

Are you doing any spring cleaning these school holidays?



1 comment:

Joyce said...

I cleaned mine out last week. EMptied EVERYTHING out and tried it all on. 6 garbage bags later......I love my wardrobe!