Pages

Monday, November 7, 2011

Turning back time

Back in the days of only having one child, weekday mornings were pretty stress-free. We got up when we wanted to, ate breakfast at a leisurely rate, got dressed when we felt like it (if at all) and had a great time just being together, playing and having fun. I loved being a new mum, spending time with my daughter and doing all the things I wanted to as a mum.

There was none of this "Hurry up and eat your breakfast!", "Is your bag packed?", "Mum!! Where's my socks!?!?" "Brush your teeth!" All while trying to make lunches, grab a quick shower and dress myself (I have learned to forgo eating breakfast at this time, I do brunch).

I sometimes feel that Bailey missed out a little, as ever since she was born, there's been some sort of 'getting ready' in the morning, and we never really get the chance to just hang out, relax and just BE. Just the two of us. Weekends don't count, there's more people around, and these days we are always rushing off to something anyway.

This morning I got a sense of what is was like all those years ago. Hang on! "All those years ago"?? It was only a couple. How quickly we forget.  
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." Ferris Bueller

Have I missed some of Bailey's life?? Did it fly past me without me even realising?? Hopefully I can make up for a little bit of it today.

Ardyn slept at a friend's house last night, and went straight to school from there. Normally I wouldn't do such a thing on a school night, but 1) I completely trust the family that she was going to and 2) her teacher can deal with the repercussions of the tired and grumpy child during the day (hehe).
So with no need to make the 9am dash to school this morning, it is just me and Miss B with nothing to do until about 11am.

O-M-G!!!! Four hours of not HAVING to do anything! It's bliss.
I have eaten breakfast (my stomach is not really enjoying it as it's not used to having something in it this early) and had a coffee without throwing it down my throat so quickly that I scald myself.
We have played games, watched a little TV, read books, TALKED (it's not often that I get the chance to just sit and talk to my 4 year old), and painted.......it's been a very relaxing.

I really do feel like some of this has passed me by. But I guess I can't dwell. It's the lot of the second child I'm afraid. I'm so glad that I don't have a third (or any plans to have one), as I'm sure I'd be so guilt-ridden about the lack of one-on-one that they would get.

Not dwelling, enjoying the morning..................................

Unfortunately the laid-back approach to the morning has allowed my head to start thinking about all the things that need to be done on the lead up to Christmas, and I'm starting to feel a little bit tense - but that's another post altogether.

Off to make another coffee, play Mouse Trap and get back into that stress-free place that I was in not too long ago.

Oh! And to top off that stress-free feeling, today is weigh in day.

69.5kg
Slowly does it, but I must admit, I do love seeing that 6 in the front again.

No comments: